Did you know… The court can order convict to pay compensation while passing judgment?



A court may, within the proceedings or while passing judgment, order the defendant or convict to pay a sum of money:

  • As compensation to any person injured by the offence, irrespective of any other fine or other punishment that may be imposed or that is imposed on the defendant or convict, where substantial compensation is in the opinion of the court recoverable by civil suit;
  • In compensating a bona fide purchaser for value without notice of the defect of the title in any property in respect of which the offence was committed and has been compelled to give it up; and
  • In defraying expenses incurred on medical treatment of a victim injured by the convict in connection with the offence.

Where the fine referred to in subsection (1) of this section is imposed in a case which is subject to appeal, no payment additional to the fine shall be made before the period allowed for presenting the appeal has elapsed or, where an appeal is presented, before the decision on the appeal.

Please join the Law TV News Community on WhatsApp here: https://chat.whatsapp.com/JSeDIkz3epl2rcrxcQTqjB

Leave a Reply